Wednesday, February 22, 2012

More on paczkis and less on politics

Yesterday was Fat Tuesday, the day we use as an excuse to gorge ourselves on pastry and other fattening foods, just because the season of Lent is beginning.  Paczkis are a pastry, Polish in orgin, similar to a jelly doughnut, but with a lot more filling and different flavors.  I heard one of my friends saying that one of the morning television shows was talking about them yesterday.  We even stopped at the local bakery and picked up a few of them for the office in the afternoon.  While they were good enough from this local bakery, I'm sure they were excellent from the bakeries in the Polish neighborhoods of cities such as Chicago.

My whole point of bringing up paczkis is that I would love to see more stories about tradition and celebration on the news and a lot less about politics.  One of the people I seriously cannot stand was on this morning, spouting some garbage about someone else in politics.  All I could think was "Why does the media give this person any attention?"  The media is just giving them a platform to propagate their stupidity.  I'm not going to turn this into a political blog.  In fact, all the political rhetoric on television has given me incentive to quilt more, because I have no desire to sit down and watch t.v.!

Okay, that's off my mind, at least for now.  I went upstairs after 9 p.m. last night to make a last minute pot holder to send to my mom.  I baked some of those big heart shaped cookies last night and put icing and sprinkles on them and wanted to send her a package with one in it.  That poor cookie looked lost so I decided to make a pot holder and put it in the envelope.  I also added some home grown popcorn a friend gave me a few weeks ago.  The pot holder was cute.  I did some string piecing with red and pink scraps on muslin, cut out a heart shape, and machine stitched it onto layers of material and batting.  Then put a binding on it and called it good.  I think she will like it.

No comments: