Sunday, February 12, 2012

A quilt to love

Have you ever made a quilt that you just absolutely love?  If you are a regular blog reader of mine, several months ago you may remember my 36 patch quilt.  It has been finished for quite some time now and holds a place of honor on my bed.  Every day I look at this quilt, and every day I fall in love with it all over again.  I see the combinations of fabrics that I used and it simply makes me happy.  I think that's a good thing.

And you know what else?  We USE this quilt.  It's not just there to be pretty.  Yes, there was a lot of work that went into it, but I didn't make it to be put away on a shelf.  We sleep under it, lay down on top of it, and let the dog and cat on it.  I'm not saying that I am letting it be destroyed, I'm just saying it's getting put through it's paces.  The cat has a daily ritual of pouncing on you in the morning, with claws extended, and she regularly does this on the quilt.  There hasn't been any damage, but if some does occur, I'll just patch it and give the quilt even more character!

A couple of years ago the dog chewed holes, yes HOLES, in my husband's favorite quilt that took me three years to create and hand quilt.  I put patches on them and put it back on the bed.  What else could I do?  Beat the dog?  Not going to happen.  She was a pup at the time and had those sharp puppy teeth.  I guess I could have put the quilt away while she was teething, but I didn't, so it's my fault. 

My point is, if you love what you create, don't hide it in a closet or drawer!  Use it!  If you can't stand to use it, display it!  Hang it on the wall, or frame it if it's small.  Why spend all that time, energy and love to create something then not enjoy it?

No comments: