Thursday, January 15, 2009

Squares and Strips

Last night I worked on the DD mystery for over an hour. I cut squares out of the gold fabric and cut the brown into strips to be subcut into triangles. I did cut three strips worth of triangles, but then ran out of steam.

Today was payday for me. Why is it that as soon as I get paid, I'm broke again? Sigh. I guess that's because I pay bills when I get paid or else the money slips away. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to have a job in these hard times.

Since before Christmas, I had my eyes on a quilt book I was wanting to order. It is $25 plus shipping. Well, I was just going to go ahead and buy it, even though spending money right now isn't a great idea. I went to the website to buy it and paged through it. Once I did that, I realized I didn't really want it after all. The patterns in it turned out to be ones that I could live without.

But I still wanted to get a new book...it's been a rough week and I wanted something, anything, just for me. A gal on one of the quilt groups was talking about looking up a pattern in one of her books and named the book. I looked it up online and found it used for one cent! Plus $3.99 shipping, but for $4, not $25+ I have ordered a book and I'm satisfied.

I also sent, via snail mail, a note to the Amish store over in Arthur that I had previously purchased a huge cone of a certain brand of thread that I like. The cone I have is getting closer and closer to the end and I would hate to run out. So I mailed a copy of the label from the cone of thread to the store asking if they still carry it and how much it would be to mail me a cone. I'm really hoping they can do that, because it is a two and a half hour drive to their store.

The temperature when I went out at lunch was a balmy 4 degrees! Brrr! I had to go to the grocery store, and when I was done, rather than bring my stuff in to the office to put in the fridge, I just left everything in the car. I don't think anything, including the ice cream, is going to melt out there.

Tonight one of the television shows I like to watch is going to start airing new episodes again. I've been looking forward to this all week. I may even make myself some popcorn for the show. It's called 'Supernatural'. I know, it doesn't sound like a show an adult woman who is into quilting would watch, but I've watched it from the very beginning and some of the plots and story lines get quite detailed. I used to really enjoy watching the show 'Jericho' but that was taken off the air. About the only other shows I watch now are 'Ghost Whisperer' or the Food Network. I like some of the shows on the History Channel and Discovery, and if John Edward is on I might watch him if it's not a repeat.

No comments: