Thursday, February 5, 2009

Conspiracy Theory


Here is a picture of the mastermind behind a complex conspiracy that occured in my kitchen between 5:45 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. today. How do I know she is the mastermind, you ask? There were four players: two cats and two dogs. One cat is too fat to have accomplished the deed. That would be Cheetah. Cheetah was the lookout. Pictured is Figaro, the oldest, wisest, and lightest animal in the house.


Here's the scenario: Last night I baked several chicken breasts and made a double batch of cheese and shells for dinner. I left the cooked chicken on the baking pan in the oven for my son and husband to eat when they each got home from work. When I got up at 5:45 to let the dogs out because Wrigley kept nudging me (she usually waits until 6:30 when I get up, but this morning she was insistent that I get up 45 minutes earlier - I think this was part of the conspiracy, but I haven't figured out exactly how it fits) there was one large piece of chicken on the baking dish, on top of the pot of shells and cheese which was on the back burner of the stove. Following this so far?


Okay, I let the dogs out at 5:45, use the bathroom, then let the dogs back inside. I don't have to get up until 6:30 so I went back to bed. I hear some noise in the kitchen, but don't pay too much attention to it. When I get up at 6:30 I stumbled to the kitchen and almost tripped over Wrigley who is now in the dining room under the piano eating what's left of the piece of chicken! Nakia, the other dog, is licking the floor in front of the stove, and Figaro and Cheetah are both heading to the bathroom sink for a morning drink.


Figaro is the only animal light enough to get on the counter and get to that piece of chicken. My guess is that she got up on the counter, ate her fill, and drug what was left to the edge of the counter where Nakia took her turn at munching on it until it fell to the floor and Wrigley picked it up and took it to the dining room. Poor Cheetah is too fat, too slow, and not bright enough to figure that he was used only as a lookout and wouldn't be sharing in the booty.


I'm speculating that the 5:45 bathroom call was a test to make sure I wouldn't get up before 6:30 because I would already have let the dogs out and wouldn't be in any hurry to do so again.
As it stands, my darling husband now only has shells and cheese to take to work for his lunch this evening (he works second shift) instead of chicken and shells and cheese. At least I know the shells and cheese are safe - I put them in the fridge before I left for work!


Last night I didn't do any sewing, but I did take inventory of the materials I have to make darling son's signature quilt. I have about 50 squares cut of music material and I need about 75. I also need 75 solid color squares, probably muslin or a white on white. I'm going to make rows of six inch squares, then offset the rows when I put them together. That will be the center of the quilt.


I'm wavering between using muslin (which I would have to wash and iron because I know it shrinks terribly) and using white on white material. My reservations about the white on white are that the pigma pens won't write properly on them, or will wash off because of the way the fabric is made. I think I'll test a little bit of the material by writing on it and then washing it.


I feel good knowing I'm moving forward on his quilt. If I at least get the center of the quilt done before graduation, that will be enough for people to sign at his party.

No comments: