Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Double Delight Done!


Last night I finished putting the borders on the Double Delight Mystery! Yay! I like the way it looks. I still can't believe I put all those little pieces in it. Chain piecing and strip sets make it easier, but still - wow. The colors aren't my usual palate, but they do play well together. Now I need to get started on my son's graduation quilt.

I also have the instructions for that scrappy mystery printed out. Once I get the graduation quilt going I'm thinking of making a wall hanging size of the scrappy mystery. I need something to hang on one of the walls in my front room.

My interview for that job is three weeks from today. It's hard to put it out of my mind and not obsess over it. It would be so nice if I got it, but I have to keep telling myself that at least I have a job now.

I brought some leftover spaghetti and meatballs for my lunch today. It was sure good last night and I'm looking forward to having it again for lunch! Don't have a clue what I'll make tonight.
A couple weeks ago I sent a letter to the Amish store over in Arthur to see if they have or can get a large cone of Coats and Clark thread again. I bought one about a year ago at their store. It had 6000 yards on it and was reasonably priced. Well, it's about gone, so I wanted to get another one. Being an Amish store, I couldn't just call them up (no telephone) so I sent a letter. I received one back saying they could no longer get those large cones but if they came across them again, they would drop me a note.

So, I placed an order with Connecting Threads last week for a cone of their thread at a pretty decent price. I think it was only 5000 yards, but even that will last me a good long time. I should be receiving that order in the next day or two.

I like to use that cone thread for piecing. I don't have a thread stand, but what I do have works for me. My sewing table is upstairs in a converted attic room, with dormer windows and the roof is slanted. My sewing table is in front of the window and the slant of the roof starts just to the right of the table. I put a small cup hook right into the wall part of the slanted area. I put the cone of thread in a jar that was just a little larger than the cone and thread it up to the cup hook, then over to my machine. works like charm!

I also take advantage of the roof slant when I use my old industrial machine. It is pulled back from the wall that the roof slants down on (I wouldn't be able to sit right up against that wall because I would be hitting my head on the roof!). I have a table behind the machine also that is about two feet wide to hold up quilts when I machine quilt. Since I don't have a thread stand for that machine either, I have a piece of batting taped to the slant of the roof and run the thread from the table to between the batting and roof, back to the machine. This serves two purposes. It not only holds the thread up nicely, the batting removes some of the lint from the thread before it goes into the machine.

Guess I don't really need a thread stand after all... hee hee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt! You did a wonderful job on it. I have too many irons in the fire right now, but I did print out all the directions and hope to do it later - maybe in different colors as I am going to use what is in my stash...

Pat H. said...

What a beautiful job on the Double Delight. I love your colors.

Quilter Kathy said...

Great job on the DD!