Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A tale of two threads

Tonight I finished quilting the warm batiks quilt, but not without mishap.  It seems that whenever I get to the last pass of the machine, there's a glitch.  I actually thought I was going to avoid that tonight, but it got me.  I had been using the same thread, top and bottom when the top thread started breaking.  I rethreaded the machine and started quilting again only to have it happen two more times.  It seemed like there was a knot in the thread coming off the spool at one point, so I took the spool off the machine to look more closely at it. 

I'm not sure if you can see it in this picture or not, but the thread looks dirty.  It's not, though.  This was a brand new spool of thread with the wrapper on it when I started quilting a few days ago.  It looks like the dye didn't reach parts of the thread and color it properly. 

Luckily, I had wound one too many bobbins.  I was on the very last pass, so I put the extra bobbin on the spool and used it as top thread.  It finished up the quilt nicely and now all it needs is to be labelled and bound.

I'm going to email or call where I got the thread tomorrow and see about getting a replacement or refund.  I do have to say I was relieved that it was the thread and not the machine or anything I was doing.  It amazes me that Gemma can be so sensitive to these issues.

No comments: