Saturday, June 15, 2013

Home Again!

We are back from San Francisco - tired, but still psyched by the great time we had! 
Is this a majestic sight or what?  The mighty Redwood Trees in Muir Woods were one of the highlights of our trip.  Muir Woods is just breathtaking.  The fact that these trees are hundreds of years old is mind boggling. 
The Golden Gate Bridge!  We traveled over the bay on this American Icon.  Our tour guide (thanks, Uncle!), pointed out the finer points of the bridge, including the tie off cables on either side of the structure for workers to attach themselves to when working on the bridge.  Not a job I think I would want...
Fisherman's Wharf was cool!  Lots and lots of people.  So much to see, I know we only only saw a fraction of it all.
Sea lions at Pier 39 on the floating docks were a kick!  The story goes that the sea lions just showed up and decided these docks were a good place to crash.  While the city of SF was trying to decide how to move them on their merry way, people started flocking to see them.  So SF turned them into a tourist attraction.  This picture was taken off the top area of Pier 39.  The good part was we weren't downwind...  Haha. 
Alcatraz.  I have to admit, I was not at all excited about this part of our trip.  When we got on the ferry to go out to the island, the boat started tossing and turning - I told Ev that if the boat tipped over I was never going to let him forget it!  Visiting Alcatraz was one of the 'must do' things on Ev's list, not mine.  When we first got on the island, all I could think of was that I was at an old prison with hundreds of birds (which we all know I'm not too fond of) and lots of bird poop...  Well, I have to tell you, once we were inside the prison and started the walking tour, with the headphones, hearing all about the details of the place, it just came alive for me.  It really really was interesting!  I'm glad we went.  I'm also glad they didn't keep us...  haha.
This restaurant, Stacks, was within walking distance of my uncle's place.  We ate there for breakfast each morning because the food was so good!  The service was pretty awesome, too.  Really friendly staff.  I had decided that I would eat sourdough bread every day I was out there.  Most of it was eaten at Stacks!  We went out for a steak to another restaurant one night.  It was a nice place, too.  But I liked Stacks best!

We visited more places than this, but for now, I'm going to close.  Still have a little jet lag... haha.





2 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

I guess this answers my question of whether or not you are back! Welcome home with all your wonderful trip memories.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Looks like you had a wonderful vacation! We honeymooned in San Francisco and saw all the sights you did ... except Muir Woods ... but we did see Napa Valley. DH and I hope to get back some day.