Friday, January 8, 2010

Pine Trees Block is Finished!




Here's what the pine trees block will look like when assembled. I have put a picture of the front and back, so you can see which way I pressed the seams. I assembled the block by putting together the flying geese units and trunk unit for the tall trees, then put the sky block and small pine tree together into a row. Then I sewed the rows together. Finished block should measure 12-1/2" square. But you know what? This is YOUR block and YOUR wall hanging. If it's off a bit so what? When we have all four blocks of the wall hanging done, we can square them up to be uniform if we have to. I am not stressing over this and no one else should either. This is for FUN!

It's pretty cold out today. I think it's around 10 degrees. brr. Good day to stay inside and sew! I did end up going to work yesterday and today, despite the weather. The drive home last night was tense but I'm hoping tonight won't be as bad.

Mom called this morning and said Gram was getting out of the hospital today. That's good news. I talked to her for a while last night. She said she was looking forward to a good night's sleep, as she hadn't been able to sleep very well recently.

Darling Hubby didn't eat much of the almost stuffed pepper dish last night. They had a catered dinner at work as a safety reward. I never know if he's going to eat or not anymore. Being on second shift, sometimes he comes home hungry and sometimes he doesn't. And with Darling Son not eating meat right now, it's not easy to make a meal for everyone to eat. Darling Hubby needs something that will reheat and still taste good, Darling Son needs vegan, and I need EASY! ha ha.

Tonight a couple of my friends are coming over for pizza and games. I need a girls' night...

Over the weekend my goal is to get the top quilted on the charity baby quilt. Then I plan to sew the blocks into rows for the Christmas Mystery quilt.

I have drafted the block for next week and will be making a test block so I don't repeat this weeks'measuring error! And while I am talking about the upcoming blocks, I do want to mention that I am not a big fan of applique or paper piecing. You probably won't see ANY paper piecing blocks demonstrated. There may be a few applique blocks, but they will be simple. I did one applique quilt in my life and I think that might be my limit. ha ha.

Tomorrow I'm going to put some clam chowder in the crock pot. It is a very very easy recipe. I may have posted it eons ago on this blog, but it's worth repeating, so here it is:





Creamy Clam Chowder

1 quart half and half

2 cans minced clams

1 stick butter 1 onion

3 cans New England Clam Chowder

2 cans Cream of Potato soup

Saute onions and drained clams in butter. Put all ingredients in crock pot, stirring well to mix, adding salt and pepper to taste. You may add some of the clam juice from the minced clams if desired to make a thinner soup. Allow to cook on low for 4-6 hours. If your crock pot cooks hot, watch for signs of scorching.





This recipe came from a cookbook my dad had gotten from work many years ago. It was a compilation of recipes from company workers. I have adapted it to fit my families tastes. I do not add any of the clam juice, preferring to thin it out if necessary with milk. It usually does not need thinning out. I don't add any salt, as the soups, being processed, already contain a lot of salt. This soup is great with a loaf of good bread. But what soup isn't?

No comments: