Friday, August 27, 2010

Working on log cabin blocks

I started working on those log cabin blocks again tonight. When I started them a year ago, I didn't cut the strips all at once. I was cutting them as I went. Well, that's what I started doing tonight, but I think that may not work well for me. I do better when I have all the cutting done and can just sew up a storm! Will just see how it goes for a while and if I'm not making progress like I want to I'll just cut up a bunch of strips and go from there.

I have a couple grocery bags of fabric scraps to sort through and put away. Tonight I put away some of the blues and some of the greens. Getting the sewing room in order will make it easier to sew and create in there.

Nick is home tonight. I'm happy to have him back in the nest for a night or two. Johanna was going out with the girls and Ben was going out with the guys. At least that was the report she gave me earlier. I found it odd because it's his birthday, but that's their business.

In addition to sewing a bit on the log cabin squares, I made a birthday bag for Ben. It is wild material with big blue flowers, pink huts and red parrots on it. Gonna bring that boy out of his shell yet... Still sending him a dumb joke every day.

Started sending Bethany a dumb joke daily also. Today she asked me for help learning division. I am trying to explain it as best I can over email. I hope she can figure it out!

So one of my life rules is "if you never ask, you will never know. and all they can do is say no". Keeping that in mind, a piece of property in the next block is in the first stages of being condemned by the city. The house definitely needs to be condemned, but also on the property is one of those new shed/garage buildings that looks like it's in great shape. Being the resourceful person that I am (read cheap), I sent a letter to the property owner asking if he would like to get rid of the shed/garage. I'm hoping he will say, sure just haul it away, but I'm realistic about it too and he may have other plans for it. The reason I want it is so that I can turn it into a studio for my longarm when I get it. Everett would be mortified with embarassment... Although that didn't stop him from helping haul the lumber we got for our deck when I asked some people for it who were taking their deck apart! Hey, lumber is expensive! They had a nice deck around their pool and took it all down and were just going to burn the lumber. I asked if I could have it and they said sure. We hardly had to buy any of the support lumber to build our deck, mostly just bought the decking.

No comments: