Saturday, August 18, 2012

Jelly memories

After spending the day canning, using the hot water bath canner, I was reminded of when I was young and my grandma would make jelly.  She didn't put her jelly in canning jars.  She would use just about any glass jar with a lid, and instead of putting in a hot water bath canner, she would put wax over the top of the jelly to seal it.  This was a standard practice to seal the jars, using paraffin.  When I started making jelly I did it that way for a short period of time.  Once I had invested in a hot water bath canner, I no longer did it that way, preferring to err on the side of caution.  Now, I don't think anyone uses that method.  In fact, I don't know where I would even find paraffin.

I trimmed up two of the sides of the monster.  It wasn't much, but it was something.  I'm going to have to square it up before putting the binding on it. 

No comments: