Sunday, August 5, 2012

My hubby is my hero today

So, being, ah, well, cheap.... I have been hemming and hawing about possibly buying either Red Snappers or Leader Grips for my longarm.  I knew that I had seen something similar to the pieces before, but could not put my finger on where.  When I described them to my hubby, he said, "Oh, like the coping strips we put on the swimming pool when we instal the liner?"  BINGO!  Yes, dear, sweet, man, exactly like that!

I've ordered 10 - 4' pieces of coping from the online pool supplies place.  The total, with shipping and all was less than $25. I will still have to go purchase dowel rods at the hardware store, or maybe pvc pipe, to put in a rod pocket on the leaders.  I hope it works. 

I have two concerns.  One is that it will be too brittle and may crack.  I remember the coping strips we had on the pool for 7 years got brittle and we had to be careful when using them when replacing the liner.  That being said, remember they were out in the heat of summer and cold of winter for those 7 years, and exposed to pool chemicals. 

Another concerns is that they may come with a bit of an arch instead of being straight because they are intended for use on round or oval pools.  But if I remember correctly the pieces are straight.  We shall see.  They will be here about mid week.

The good thing is, if they do not work, I can save them to use on the pool in another several years when we replace the liner again (heaven help us - remember that fiasco last year?) and I can use the dowel rods as hangers for mini quilts on the wall. 

I'll keep everyone posted.  Here's a link to the coping strips if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about:    http://tinyurl.com/9c8g7bz  The coping strip is the white round piece in the picture being pressed over the blue pool liner. 

No comments: