Sunday, September 9, 2012

Extolling the virtues of quality thread

I have admitted it before and I'll admit it again.  I'm, well, frugal.  I have a sizable amount of a certain brand of thread that I had purchased before the longarm.  It is 100% cotton and I have a lot of different colors.  So, I have been trying to use it up, and have tried to use it on the longarm.  Over the past couple days I have been working on Tennessee August and have gotten frustrated repeatedly because the thread would break.  It wasn't consistently the top thread breaking or the bobbin thread breaking.  It would just break.  It was a big mess.  Three hours on the quilt yesterday yielded one pass without turning the take up bar. 

This morning, when I started fresh, the same thing started happening.  I decided enough was enough.  I found a color that was fairly close to what I was using in the Essential Threads Cotton brand and started using it.  Wonder of wonders, no more broken threads! 

I did still have some tension issues on the back side.  Too many loops where there shouldn't be any.  Considering what a mess the quilting turned out to be, I was not even shooting for perfection any more.  I've decided to continue quilting it, bind it, wash it, then assess it again.  If necessary, I'll pick some areas out and repair them on one of the domestic machines. 

This quilt is a gift for my mom.  She doesn't expect it to be perfect (at least I hope not), so I'm not going to worry about it.

Oh and throw into the mix that the borders were waving like a beauty queen in a parade, this has been quite a challenge.  What was I thinking?  Sigh.

1 comment:

Lynley said...

Isn't good thread amazing? I too am frugal - but once I started with Aurifil I couldn't believe the difference it made... and much less swearing from me :)