Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sleep deprivation and the visiting Beagle

Over the weekend, I was destined NOT to have an uninterupted night of sleep.  On Friday night, a very close friend of my hubby's got himself in a bit of a pickle.  Ev was working until 3 a.m. so he couldn't help extricate his buddy from his situation, so Nick and I spent from midnight to 3 a.m. rounding him up and taking him home.  We were pretty wound up and didn't really get to sleep until after 4 a.m.  I haven't done that in a long time.  I'd prefer not to do it again any time soon.

Sunday night the guys went out for a beer.  When they rolled home in the wee hours, they sat in the driveway for a minute to listen to the end of a song on the radio.  When Ev opened the door to get out of his truck, in jumped a little beagle!  Of course, they had to wake me up to see it.   They brought it in the house!  I sent it back outside immediately!  It's not that I don't like beagles or house dogs, I happen to like both, but this pooch was covered in fleas and we didn't know if he was house trained or what.  He had a collar on, so we thought he must belong to someone.  He was a very friendly little guy.

The men in my family were begging to keep him, but I had to be the bad guy and said no.  We have one dog and that's enough right now.  We did the two dog thing, and it was difficult.  Having one dog makes travelling so much easier.  You can take one dog with you, where as taking two gets to be a bit much.

Reluctantly, the guys agreed with me and let the hound loose outside the fence (after feeding him a big bowl of kibble).  At 5 a.m., yes, 5 a.m., I was woke up by the distinctive barking and howling of a beagle.  He had worked his way back INTO our fenced in yard.  I got up and shoo-ed him out of the yard.  At 7 a.m. he was back in the yard, all happy and cheerful, ready to play with Ivy when I let her out for her morning romp.  Sigh.

I called the local police station to see if anyone was looking for him.  Nope.  I checked with a couple people in town who I thought might know someone missing a beagle.  Nope.  I went to the animal shelter with the dog to see if he had a microchip.  Nope. 

Finally, I called a guy I know who raises beagles and asked if he wanted him.  He came over and told me if the dog didn't run rabbits he would not keep him, but would give him to a friend of his who likes beagles and lets them run on his property.  As much as I would like to have seen him become a sweet little house dog, I also know that beagle's love to run, so this was an acceptable solution.

If anyone calls me looking for him, I will give them the number for the guy who has him, but I really doubt I will get any calls.  Some day we will probably be a two-dog family again, but it's just not the right time.

No comments: