Saturday, September 15, 2012

Tennessee August is in the wash

Here is Tennessee August before it was bound.  I finished quilting and binding it today and it's in the washer right now.  Going to send it to my mom on Monday.

This is one of those quilts that I had to give in and say 'done is better than perfect'.  There were problems with the quilting.  These problems were my fault, and I'll take that responsibility. 

I pieced the majority of this quilt years ago while in Nashville, TN with my friend, Donna.  We went to a quilt show there and stayed a few days.  It was blazing hot that summer.  The colors, especially the flame type orange print, reflect the heat of that summer.  The greens are scattered around sparingly, just like there was little green to be found with the heat and lack of rain.  The neutral squares alternating with the four patches are varied.  Those darker neutrals in the picture really aren't that dark and don't stand out like that on the quilt.  Some of the neutral squares have a very faint pattern of a winter scene, which reminded me of the fact that even during that very hot summer, winter would actually come again.


2 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

Lovely quilt. And it does remind me of "my" part of TN a bit later in the year. How is it possible for a quilt to make me homesick!
I think you did a lovely job, whether or not the camera was cooperative with the colors.

Lynley said...

The colours are lovely, I think it looks great!