Thursday, December 16, 2010

A day in pictures

Here's how I started my day:



I went out to start my car and was greeted by a thin layer of ice over everything, making it difficult to walk and drive. It was like a layer of glass was over everything. I had to drive half the speed I normally do, and of course it took me twice as long to get to work. But I made it.

When I got home, I went upstairs and started sewing. I had found a tree skirt pattern and adapted it to use some blocks I already had made from shirting fabrics. The original pattern used log cabin blocks and was smaller. Here is one that I have the top finished on.



And here is one that is partially sewn.



The instructions I am loosely following will have me sandwich the top with batting and backing and quilt it. Then cut a hole in the very center and then cut from the center out to one edge only. It will be bound and have ties.

In the center I'm going to have my brothers and sisters trace their hand prints and put the date inside it, probably just the year, and their names inside it also. I will make one for my dad and his family here and have everyone put their prints on before Christmas, then have Dad and his wife put theirs on after I give it to him. On my mom's I'm not sure if I will have everyone sign before hand (haha) or have everyone sign after she opens it.

After sewing I came downstairs to find Shadow cat enjoying the warming effects of the heat vent in the kitchen.


She wouldn't look at me. Either that, or she was just warming a different side of her neck!

Ev called me at work today and said Ivy was pretending to be a flying reindeer outside on the patio. Since it too had a sheen of ice on it, and since Ivy doesn't have much sense to stay off it and just run in the grass, she was leaping in the air and coming down on all fours, going splay legged! He said it was funny but he had to let her in before she did serious damage like dislocate a joint or something.

And after a hard day of practicing for Santa's sleigh, here's my baby dog resting comfortably on my bed...


The t.v. stations have had cancellations running on the bottom scroll for tomorrow and I see that our little town is not having school again tomorrow (they didn't have it today). I don't think we are supposed to get any more sleet or freezing rain, but they are probably thinking about the bus routes refreezing overnight.

No comments: