Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Measure twice, cut once

That age old advice certainly applies to my ditzy brain sometimes! Last night I brought home some papers to sew triangles with. I had printed a sheet out from the internet, but it wasn't the right size, so I had made my own in what I thought was the correct size. Well, after I got to work this morning I started thinking that the triangles I had made were the same size as those that were printed out, and by default also the wrong size. This was correct, so I had to make another paper with the correct size on it. The correct size is 2" half square triangles unfinished and 1-1/5" finished. And the new papers have 24 units to a paper, so it will only take 25 sheets. That's not so bad.

I went upstairs tonight and did some sewing for a couple hours. It seems that subconsciously when I put the 'Just do it' shirt on, I can machine quilt on the old Singer! I had put the shirt on for warmth under my sweatshirt when I got home from work. At any rate, I started machine quilting the second tree skirt. There were a lot of snags and broken threads and needles with burrs in them. I figured out that the new bobbin case I got from Nolting is not acceptable with this machine. After I came to that realization, it was a lot better to quilt on. I finished the quilting on it, and now just need to bind both of them and they are done.

Lori came over tonight for a few minutes. I sure am lucky to have her for a friend. Early this morning I was having trouble sleeping and texted her. She answered right away. I gave her one of the potholders I had finished.

Apparently both of the cats needed a turn sitting on the one tree skirt!


No comments: