Monday, July 16, 2012

Grilled shrimp

Here's how I prepared the shrimp I grilled yesterday. 

2 packages of the largest size shrimp, raw, frozen (I got mine from Wal Mart and I think each package was just shy of a pound)

Oil - I used canola, but I think any light oil, including a light olive oil, would be good. 
Lemon Juice
Chives
Parsley
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Seafood Seasoning - I used Chef Paul Prudhome's brand

I allowed the shrimp to defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then, under running cold water, peeled and deveined them.  After draining, place in a bowl.  Splash a small amount of oil on them to lightly coat them and a splash of lemon juice.  I used about a tablespoon or two of lemon juice.  The chives and parsley were dried, and I added about a tablespoon each of them.  Add about half a teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder, then about a quarter teaspoon seafood seasoning.

I was real sparing with the seasonings because I did not want anything to overpower the shrimp.  Sorry there are not exact quantities.  I think I could have gotten by with not using the seafood seasoning because when I read the ingredients they included the garlic and onion powders.

To cook them, I sprayed a disposable grill mesh that is made for grilling fish and vegetables.  I placed this on my heated grill for a minute before putting the shrimp on it.  My grill is gas and I had it on the lowest setting, both burners. 

After placing the shrimp on the grill in a single layer, I closed the lid on the grill for about a minute.  Then I flipped all the shrimp over and closed the grill again for a minute or so.  All of the recipies I read said a minute on one side, then half a minute on the other. I was afraid of burning them or drying them out, so I kept the heat very low and just let them cook until done.  You know they are done when they are white all the way through, not that greyish raw color.  Mine did take longer than a minute and a half. 

My husband said they were the best shrimp he had ever eaten! 


No comments: