Sunday, July 1, 2012

So close, but yet so far...

I am so close to finishing this quilt, but I just had to quit for the night. My feet were hurting (more about my feet in a minute - bet you can't wait!).  As you can see from this picture, there are several rows of varying widths in this top.  It's been challenging and fun to quilt.  I am very appreciative of the busy multicolored back!  It hides a multitude of sins...
 Here's a little corner of my quilting world.  The longarm is to the left of this photo.  See my cute little air compressor on the floor by the desk?  It's a 'pancake' model, which just makes me smile for some strange reason.  That's the new light I just hung there above the desk.  Everything is plugged into a surge protector on the wall, so all I have to do for my lights to come on is hit the switch.

The bobbin winder is on the desk and I have some baskets with thread in them in the storage area of the desk.  The old t.v. serves it's purpose, but for the most part, I leave it off.  There's my big roll of batting nestled in the corner there.  Haven't used any yet because these charity quilts asked for poly batting and the big roll is cotton/poly blend.  80/20.  I have a couple of storage baskets sitting on the table with the t.v.  They hold a miscellaneous assortment of things like cut off pieces of batting and a few tools.

Oh, and the water heater is right there, in case you didn't see it...  haha.  The area behind the water heater and the desk with the t.v. is where my washer and dryer are.  I get a lot of laundry done while I'm down there quilting.  I kind of like having the washer and dryer running in the background while I'm quilting.  It's not deathly quiet, but it's also not noisy.  And the washer and dryer chime a cute little tune when they are done.  Always a treat to hear that...
Now, what you have all been waiting for - my feet!  Or rather, my socks.  Since I have so much trouble with my right foot - issues I won't bore you to tears with, I am supposed to wear my shoes with the orthotics in them all the time.  I also love to go barefoot.  I compromised, by wearing the soft fluffy socks today.  Okay, okay I know they aren't helping the foot issue, but at least I wasn't standing on the cold, hard concrete without anything on my feet.  They also served another purpose.  Being ever so lazy about threads, the floor seems to collect a lot of them.  Enter fuzzy socks.  If I wear these socks, I end up picking up most of the threads, and believe me, today there were a lot, on the bottoms of them as I walk back and forth!  Pretty cool, huh?  Multi tasking socks.  Will wonders never cease? 

Oh, and in reference to the above picture, my great grandfather always said I had Aunt Agnes' ankles...  Gee, thanks, Grandpa...  God rest both their souls...

Okay, enough of my weird mood.  Quilted for hours today, even after we came back from supper.  Then got in the pool for an hour.  The water is pretty warm, which is no surprise.  That's how I like it!  Nick got in for a bit with me, too.

Back to work tomorrow.  I only work two days this week, so that's not so bad.  Hope to get that little bit of quilting done and get another one on the frame before Wednesday.

Kind of doubt there will be many fireworks this year.  It is just horribly dry and would be a serious fire hazard.

4 comments:

ScatCat said...

Multi tasking socks....?

ScatCat said...

Multi tasking socks....?

bunbear said...

yes, son, multi tasking socks... i see you finally found my blog.

Dora, the Quilter said...

Have you tried one of those rug-runner sized gel pads (like chefs use)? Might help you get away without having the orthotics on while you quilt.