Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Zucchini Pizza Crust

For those wonderful readers who are interested in the pizza crust recipe from shredded zucchini, it's amazingly simple.  I didn't follow a recipe exactly, but if you want to do that, just Google 'zucchini pizza crust' and there will be several options.

My crust consisted of three main ingredients.  I used 1/2 cup of no fat egg substitute, 1/2 cup of fat free mozzarella cheese, and shredded zucchini.  I added enough zucchini to make it not soupy.  I tried to get as much water out of the zucchini before adding it as possible, even putting it in several paper towels and wringing it out! 

I added some spices, such as Italian seasoning, season salt, garlic powder and onion powder.  My 'dough' if you want to call it that, was a bit too wet, and next time I will try to get more of the water out of the zucchini and start with less of the egg substitute. 

I sprayed a pizza pan with non stick spray and spread the mixture as thin as I could get it without holes in it.  When I baked it, I was baking it with a meat loaf at 350 and it took a long time.  I even had to get it off the pizza pan and bake it on a wire mesh rack for a while because it was staying too wet in the center.  This part of the process is going to be trial and error, but will be a yummy experience!  lol.

After the crust was as firm as I could get it without it getting burnt, I added tomato sauce, turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and more fat free cheese.  I put it under the broiler for a few minutes, to melt the cheese.

Since I'm doing Weight Watcher's points again, I figured this entire pizza, and it was a large one, to be only 8 of the old points!  That's a point a slice after I cut it into 8 sections.  I only ate 4 pieces last night and was full. 

This is definitely something worth working on, but even if I did it exactly the same, it was good and satisfied my taste for pizza.  And I felt like I could eat the entire thing if I really wanted to.

No comments: