Saturday, October 2, 2010

Almost midnight

I just now came down from the sewing room. I was up there over two hours. I did come down while Johanna was eating her dinner after she got home from work. Talked to her for about ten minutes, then went back upstairs.

As usual, it wasn't just a simple matter of pinning the layers together. The quilt top is wider than 44". The fabric I wanted to use for the back was 44" but I didn't have enough of it to piece two strips together, of course. So I improvised. I cut the backing to length, then cut down the middle of it and inserted a pieced section. It's hard to describe, so I'll just have to post a picture, but not tonight because I'm going to bed soon! Let me just say the pieced section has strips of all the colors on the front and one pinwheel block right in the middle of it.

After piecing the back together, I did get the quilt pin basted. It's ready to quilt. Problem is, I'm not! I need some inspiration on what to quilt in the blocks. The only quilting I'm certain of is that I want to put a line of little fish in the small inner border. That leaves the center of sixteen pinwheels that needs to have some kind of quilting in them and then the border of four patch blocks and the final three inch border. Not feeling the love right now, so I had to walk away from it. I do think the pinwheel blocks need to have some kind of quilting that will give the illusion of movement. Or I could just cop out and do what I said I was going to do and just loopy meander all over it! That wouldn't be a bad choice, either for the entire quilt or for just the center of pinwheels. But then what to quilt in the four patches and border? agh.

No comments: