Sunday, October 24, 2010

Goats, goats, goats

When we were coming home from breakfast yesterday, Everett said "Let's go through the country and maybe we will see the goats again". The goats did not disappoint us! There's a farm that has quite a few goats, usually penned up behind the house, that is on our route home. One time when we drove past, the goats were even up on the front porch of the house! Yesterday Ev stopped the car and I jumped out and took this picture right from the fence. Ev was amused that they had "beards"! Ummm, yes, my city boy husband, goats have beards!

I don't know if I ever shared this story or not, but it's goat related and it's funny. When we first started dating, I wanted Everett to meet my Great Grandfather (he and Mammy raised me until I was 12). Grandpa's house sat at the edge of town, and I use the term "town" loosely, as there were about 200 people in it, and only 4 or 5 narrow streets. He had fields South of the house and to the West. Two houses to the East, and keep in mind that the houses were not at all close together, lived a man named Estel. Estel always had some kind of different animal. Mom says when they were kids he had a raccoon for a while, and there were other stories I just can't remember right now. Anyway, back to my story...

Everett and I get out of the car at Grandpa's, after a four hour drive, and he looks around. He takes in the back of the house, which is where the driveway ends, Grandpa's huge garden to the West, the fields to the South, then happens to look to the East, toward Estel's.

Everett then says to me, "Tam, that is the ugliest dog I have ever seen!". I look over in the direction of Estel's house and see that he has a goat tied to a dog house! Well, I told Everett that was not a dog, it was a goat. My city boy husband tries to argue with me that it is a dog because it's tied to a dog house. No, dear, it's a goat. It's Estel's goat. It has horns, see? And to think the man didn't run screaming back to the city!

No comments: