Sunday, October 10, 2010

Always thinking about quilts

So I get a new package of socks at the mall. I put a pair on in the hotel room, and look down and what do you think I am thinking of? Flying Geese! The socks have three flying geese on the top of them! I need help.... haha

Mom, Johanna, my brothers and I are all still talking about what a good time we had. We are calling it the first annual shopping trip! Next year, hopefully Nick will go with us too. Mom mentioned staying in Mattoon instead of Tuscola because that is where the restaurant we liked so much is! That would be fantastic for us. And, it's only 20 minutes away from the mall, so no big deal there.

I have got to motivate myself to get started on that baby quilt for the shower in two weeks. I had pretty much decided to do the one mystery quilt that I had cut out for Paducah next April. When I looked at it, I saw how many pieces were in it (lots, lots, and lots) and got discouraged. Then I went to the flannel drawer and tried to pick out fabric for a top, but just couldn't get it to come together in my head. So I looked again at the mystery quilt and realized I had cut enough pieces to make a twin size quilt! Over 2x what I need for a baby quilt, so now I'm feeling pretty good about just using what I have cut already. I'll take what I need for the baby quilt and then see if I have enough to a: recut the pieces I used and have enough for a twin size again, or b: cut enough pieces to make TWO more baby quilts in identical fabric to the first, or c: make one more baby quilt with the pieces and use the extra pieces in the backing. Option c is probably the way I will go.

Not working tomorrow because of Columbus Day, so I intend to get going on it then. Wouldn't mind getting the whole top finished tomorrow. Then Tuesday I work, so I know I won't be in a mood to quilt much in the evening, but I could get it pin basted. Wednesday Everett has a doctor's appointment in the morning. I will be home by noon, so I could get started on the machine quilting then. Will see how it goes...

So I bid (by proxy) on that antique treadle sewing machine at an auction over the weekend. I had seen it online and gotten a wild hair that I wanted it. Well, I won the bid. I went and picked it up after we got back from Tuscola. The gal who had checked it out for me lived in the same town as the auction was and was really talking it up and how she would have liked to have had the machine herself if she had had money to bid on it. Once I saw the machine, I realized I didn't have a love affair with it. My friend, however, did. She talked about watching her mother and grandmother sew on a treadle and that was what she had learned on. I called her up and told her I changed my mind about it and did she want it. She did. So I took it over to her house and we will work out the details about paying for it later. Not concerned at all. It wasn't much and she's a sweet person who does a lot for me. I know she will love it and care for it and USE it.

Ev and I are going to Tilley's for supper again tonight. Seems to be our Sunday thing. Ev said Delbert texted him before noon today asking what time we were going to supper! So I guess Del is going with us. Johanna, too, probably. I'm getting chicken wings, I think.

Passed my dad's house on my way over to the auction site. Saw they had quite a crowd over there for my stepmother's two sisters' birthdays. (that's a mouthful). I am SOOOOOO glad we did not go there. She had told me that they were doing that, including my birthday in the mix, and I told her no. Had to say it nine different ways before she got it, but finally got through to her that I was not having my birthday dinner with her family. She and Dad came up for lunch last week and took Ev and I out. That was fine, it was enough, and all were happy. She was kind of reserved during lunch, though.

No comments: