Monday, October 4, 2010

Just the border left to quilt

All I have to do on the kitties and fishbones quilt is the outer border. I am going to do a row of hearts inside hearts. After I finished quilting the pinwheels in the four patch blocks, I did some practice hearts inside hearts. I don't think they will be too difficult if I take my time and pay attention while I'm doing them. Then all that will be left will be to bind and label the quilt. I may hold off labeling it until I'm ready to give it away.

I think I will start a baby quilt in flannel fabrics next. The pattern I want to use is a square in a square block and seems pretty simple. I hope it is and that the flannel isn't too stretchy on the bias. I need to get moving on it because that quilt will be for my friend Lori's first grandchild and I think the shower is coming up soon. I think she is due at the end of the year.

It was kind of funny today. I went upstairs to Johanna's room to make her bed. We got a new mattress and box spring set for her today and I had washed the sheets and dried them. Johanna is out with Matt on a date (he even brought her flowers...) so I figured it would be late when she got home and I would surprise her by making her bed. Well I put her graduation signature quilt on the bed when I got it all done. I stepped back and looked at it, not so much at the signatures, but at the arrangement of the blocks and colors. I couldn't tell you what I did, just that it worked. I don't know what was in my head when I was laying out those blocks, but the pattern and the colors came together to make a pretty quilt top. It's funny how the quilts are in my head, I make them, then they are gone and I couldn't tell you how I did them! I wonder if this is normal? haha. I don't care, it works for me!

It got cool enough last night to turn the furnace on. I sure don't want that high heat bill, but we had to do it.

I'm thinking about getting Tennesseee August out and machine quilting it. I wonder if I could use hand quilting thread in the old Singer to do that? Doug, from Nolting, is looking into getting me a bobbin case for the Singer. I want a spare so I can mess with the tension if I want to.

No comments: