Friday, November 12, 2010

A Clear Conscience

When I was growing up I lived with my Great Grandparents. Grandpa was a retired coal miner who came over from Europe with his family when he was 8 years old. Mammy was the best person I will ever know.

Grandpa liked to work outside in the garden and from dawn until dusk he was doing something. After supper he would come into the front room and sit down to read the paper, usually falling asleep in the chair at some point. He would snore (although he swore he didn't!) and sleep in that chair until it was time to go to bed when Mammy would wake him up. Sometimes she would ask him just how he could sleep like that. His answer "A clear conscience!". Still cracks me up decades later...

Didn't do any sewing tonight. I must have had a clear conscience because I fell asleep on the couch at 8! Now it's almost midnight and I'm going to bed. Nick just rolled in a little bit ago. He will be here for the weekend, it looks like. Don't know Johanna's plans.

I'm almost done with that book. When I'm done with it, I know I'll be doing more sewing. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to dinner and on that 'haunted walk' with Donna. That should be interesting.

No comments: