Sunday, November 7, 2010

In bed before nine


Yes, I'm going to bed early again. Can't hardly keep my eyes open, so I'm giving it up and going to bed. We went to Tilley's for supper, as is our Sunday tradition. It was good, as usual. I had salad, asian wings, and seasoned fries.

I finished pressing all the quarter square triangle blocks and trimmed their dogears. Then I laid them out on my bed to figure out a good way to put them together. Originally I had thought to make the quilt nine rows by nine, but I had enough blocks to make it nine by ten. There were some duplicate blocks, but that was okay. And I'm not convinced it will be getting a pieced border anymore. I think a small inner border of white and a medium outer border of blue will be sufficient. Will see when it's done. This photo does not show the final layout. I moved some blocks around to get the best balance I could of colors and light and dark.

I also spent 45 minutes in the sewing room sorting some material into the bins that are sorted by color. I still have some more to sort, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I also put some of the smallest scraps into the shoebox size bins by color. It's just that one corner that needs to be cleared out, then the sewing room will really be in good order. Well, there will still be the games and stuff that isn't sewing related, but stuff's not bothering anybody and can wait. I really want to get all the material in it's proper place. I've got some serious sewing planned for this winter.

One project I have in my mind is to make another string quilt. Ev really likes the one I made a few years ago. The only thing is, it was made as a couch quilt and it isn't big enough to cover the bed. He likes to have it on the bed, so I've got it on there going the wrong direction, just covering the bottom 3/4ths of the bed. That's okay, but I would like to have a full size string quilt for extra warmth since he really likes the pattern. That's one of the reasons for sorting the smaller scraps into shoe boxes. I intend to work out of them for those blocks.

I started reading a good book today, The 19th Wife. I'll tell more about it later, 'cause I really am sleepy, but I know I probably won't sew much until I'm done reading. That's just the way I seem to do it. I read until the book is done, then sew like a madwoman until I want to read a book again!

No comments: