Monday, November 1, 2010

Double trouble

I have a bad habit of making too many blocks. Somehow, I end up making a lot more than I really need. This problem first came to light when I made my daughter's Jewel Box quilt. I still have pieces of that floating around in the scrap bucket. Anyway, today I bought some blue material at Wal Mart to put in the quarter square triangles with some muslin to alternate with the chunky churndash blocks. I washed the material, dried it, and set about the not so fun task of ironing it. As I'm ironing acres and acres of muslin, I keep measuring it to see how much farther I have to go. As I get about halfway through it, I stopped. I realized that the 10.25" squares of muslin and squares of blue that I need will give me two blocks for the price of one when I make them. Now, it makes sense that if I need 40 qst blocks, I would only need 20 muslin and 20 blue squares. But at the time, I thought I needed 40 of each and I was just going to be an ironing and cutting fool. Glad I figured it out this time in advance!

I finished sewing and pressing all the chunky churndash blocks. Was up in the sewing room for over three hours today. I like the nice crisp feel of the blocks when they are freshly pressed. Tomorrow I hope to get the qst blocks all made. Since I bought enough of the blue material to cover the entire state of Illinois in blue, I think I'll use it in the border also.

Made some spaghetti sauce tonight that turned out really good. Didn't make the homemade pizzas over the weekend, so I might make those tomorrow.

I wonder if the puppy has trouble hearing. It seems like whenever she is asleep she doesn't hear me when I call her. Either that, or she just is really lazy.

No comments: