Sunday, November 14, 2010

Did you see that buffalo?

Here's another story from the past and my city boy husband. In our early years together we used to do a lot of camping. One spot we camped at was Marsailles State Park, along the Illinois River. It's East of Starved Rock. At the time we were there it wasn't much of a campground. It has since been developed quite a bit, but when we camped it was just a few camping lots, either with or without electricity. For the record, we had to camp in the electrified area because Everett had to have coffee in the morning. Yes, he brought an electric coffee maker camping with him. sigh. And I married him.... lol

The story is this: We decided to drive through the park a little one afternoon because there really wasn't much else to do around there. The park, at that time, was bordered by the river and farm fields. There is a lock on the river there that we visited. It was pretty interesting. We were driving through the park and this little sign says "Wildlife Viewing Area". I'm thinking, rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc. and I'm just looking around, when Everett says "Look! A buffalo!" I look and there, crossing the narrow road, is a cow. I say to Everett "No, that's a cow." He proceeds to argue with me because the sign said wildlife viewing, and a cow is not wildlife. Well, apparently the farmer's cows from the bordering field had broken the fence and wandered into the state park. I finally convinced him that it was indeed a cow. There are more cow stories to tell about that include Everett, but I'll save them for another time. Oh, and a horse story and .... you get the picture! Poor guy, just didn't know what he was getting into when he married me 23 years ago! lol

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Oh that is too funny. Thanks for the chuckles.