Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bright baby quilt

I thought I would show my progress so far on the baby quilt.  I cut flannel into 6-1/2" squares and sewed them together.  There are seven different fabrics and the top is seven squares by seven squares.  I sent Johanna a picture of it when it was just assembled in rows and she said "it looks huge!".  Well, at that time, I guess it did, but I really don't like to make tiny little baby quilts.  I like to make something that the baby can use into toddler-hood.

I also need to keep in mind that this will shrink up some as it's quilted.  Since this is just going to be a quick top, I'll probably just quilt in the ditch or something equally simple.  The backing is going to be the light pink material.  I may put a strip of the print across the middle of the back.

Oh, and I have to mention that I waylaid Nick's friend, Brent when they came upstairs.  He is the one holding the top up for me.  Brent just was the first one through the door.  He's happy because he found a job and starts tomorrow.  It's so hard for young people these days to get jobs.  I wish him luck!

We are supposed to get ice and snow over the next few days.  I went to the grocery store again today, this time taking my uncle.  He really didn't need anything, but I wanted to get him out of the house for a while.  He broke his hand last week and I thought he might have a little cabin fever.  Turns out he did get out last Friday, which is a good thing.  I just thought if we get this weather he may be stuck for a while.

Made a good dinner tonight.  Wanted Ev to eat something because he's not been eating with that cold.  I made two meat loaves, one for dinner tonight and one to freeze.  Also made mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn.  Was a really good meal!  I froze the second meat loaf, along with the leftover mushroom gravy, for another meal.  The leftovers from the first meat loaf I put in a container with some of the mashed potatoes for Ev to take to work tomorrow.  He will be in good shape for meals at work this week, as I put some of the chicken rice soup I made yesterday in containers in the freezer for him.

Changed the sheets tonight.  With Ev being sick, that's one thing I wanted to make sure I did over the weekend.  He helped me put all the quilts back on the bed, and then threw an additional blanket throw over his side!  He already has an extra blanket over his side of the bed, so this makes two.  I cannot imagine he will be cold.

I had washed all the quilts today.  That was three loads, with two quilts in each load.  Well, when I pulled the last load out of the washer, I noticed some dampness on the floor under the washer.  This is not good.  I don't know what happened, but I'm not going to stress over it.  It may be nothing.  I'm going to let it dry, then tomorrow night or soon, I will sit and watch a load and see if something is going on.  It could just be that the drain overflowed or something simple.  I hope, I hope... 

No comments: