Saturday, January 22, 2011

Turkey today

I took a turkey bird out of the freezer yesterday and have had him defrosting in the sink under running water.  Going to make that bird with all the trimmings today for dinner, then tomorrow have those yummy sandwiches with the blue cheese and onion and turkey!

Here's the sawtooth star block I made yesterday.  When I looked at the pattern again, I realized this was the same pattern I used to make my brother and his wife their wedding quilt.  I guess I like this pattern alot!

Here's all my half square triangles all neatly stacked in stacks of 100.  Last night I started sewing them together in their little groups of five.  Those danged dog ears are what aggravates me!  I'm sewing them together in pairs, then will sew the pairs together and add one on the end.  I have to remember to not sew all of them together in pairs or I will be frogging them to get single squares back to make the groupings of five! 

I have been debating with myself about the next part of the mystery.  It is to cut many triangles using the Easy Angle ruler and sew to the ends of another piece already constructed.  I am not a big fan of that particular ruler and prefer to do things with triangles differently, however, these particular triangles need to have straight of grain, not bias, on a particular edge.  If I changed up the directions and did it the easiest way for me, that would not be the case.  What I'm trying to avoid is making triangles in the first place.  The strips the triangles would be sewn to are going to become the borders when sewn together and I was thinking of just sewing squares to the ends and then making the edge pieces into triangles after they were sewn.  That leaves a bias edge on the outside and that really is a recipe for disaster, so I'll just bite the bullet and make them using the Easy Angle.  My machine is touchy about sewing those stinky little triangles, too.  Ugh.  I know the end product is worth it.  Kinda like labor...only without stretch marks...lol

No comments: