Thursday, January 20, 2011

Plotchkas

I don't know if that's the correct spelling or not, because I'm not sure if it's even a real word, but plotchkas are a food from my past.  When my great grandmother made Sunday dinner, which was every Sunday, we always had sauerkraut.  Always.  Mammy would make a lot of kraut so there were always leftovers.  With the leftover kraut she would make plotchkas.  Now, before you go 'eeeewwww grosss' at what I'm going to describe next, just keep an open mind...  Plotchkas are somewhat of a sauerkraut cookie.  They are bigger than a cookie and not sweet.  All they are is leftover kraut and some flour.  I think.  See, there isn't a written down recipe for plotchkas.  They are about 4" in diameter, give or take, and maybe 3/8th's inch thick.  You just pat them into a circle and flatten them out.  Then put on a baking sheet and put in the oven.  Now, I'm baking them at 350 for half an hour and I THINK that should be the right amount of time.  They should be nice and crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside.

I have to add a side note that the sauerkraut my family eats is not your straight out of the can variety.  Mammy used to can her own kraut, and I have done so in the past, but don't anymore.  When we make kraut for a meal we add some of the drippings from the roast or whatever meat we are having at the meal, and usually some caraway seeds.  The first time my husband saw caraway seeds in the kraut he asked if they were cabbage bugs!  So, you aren't starting out with something bland and white when you make plotchkas, you are starting out with kraut that is nicely flavored and seasoned.

I'm debating whether or not to take my great uncle a plotchka.  Remember, this was his mother that made them, so they are part of his food memory also.  But I only made 4 this time, so I'm not sure if I will be taking him one or not...  Sorry Uncle Ray...

I'll get a picture of them up before the day is out.  Well, that is if they turn out!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

I love kraut. Mom used to put caraway in hers and sometimes shredded apple for flavor. These sound wonderful. Anxious to hear more and see the pic. Love your
DH's reference to cabbage bugs...tell him those are much bigger and uglier. LOL