Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Three mornings in a row of fun

I was up and at it again this morning...sewing before work, working on the 36 patch blocks.  I'm so loving these blocks!  It's like each one has it's own little personality and when they are completed just have such a good look about them.  Even the colors that I though might not work well together in a block seem to transform into interesting combinations.  I finished sewing five of the seven blocks I had pieced strips all ready to sew.  They need to be pressed, but they look nice.  I have two more sets of strips to make into two blocks, then will have to press and cut more fabrics.  Just having so much fun with this!

I think crazymomquilts mentioned on her blog that there wouldn't be any sashing between the blocks when finished.  Before I put them together, I think I'll audition a small sashing strip, just to see how I like it.  With all these wild combinations, it might need to have somewhere for the eye to rest.

I think I have mentioned before that I had an addiction to McDonald's oatmeal in the mornings.  Well, in an effort to save money, I have started to bring my own version of it to work to eat.  I just throw a handful of instant oats into a 2 cup container that has a lid on it, along with dried cranberries and raisins.  McDonald's oatmeal has maple and brown sugar, plus fresh apples in it.  I could take or leave the apples, so I don't add them to my homemade version (I like apples, just not crazy about them in my oats).  As far as the maple and brown sugar go, I would like them, but have found that I can do without them and it's one small way to cut down on calories.  So when I get to work I just add hot water from the dispenser and it's pretty good.  As well as saving money, it was almost an act of desperation to get this recipe to my liking, since last week our McDonald's closed for three months for remodelling!

I didn't really get into talking about the Kindle application that I downloaded yesterday.  What sparked me into doing this was that Bonnie Hunter has been posting about free Kindle books on her blog, and some of them looked really interesting.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

So glad you continue to enjoy the quiltalong. It has a happy simplicity to it.

Quiltalicious said...

Your blocks look great so far... I think they are going to make a lovely quilt.
As for the Kindle - I have the app for my phone too, but I hate buying a book that I can't pass on to someone else when I'm done with it, and the free books are all either already read, or so bad I don't want to read them.. If you have any recommendations of good free books on the Kindle, please let me know - Drop by at http://serial-quilter.blogspot.com and let me know... thanks.